Mill floristry in Orges


 
Built in 1321, this mill in Orges, near Chaumont, is one of the oldest in France. It has seen its business adapt over the centuries to meet the economic needs of the village.   Until 1898 it produced oil as well as flour.   It also served as a blacksmith's until 1872.
 
Today it is the last centre in France for the manufacture of the components of artificial flowers (pistils, petals and leaves) and fruit for the fashion and design industries.  The 'fleuristerie' mill uses the same machinery which was used more than a hundred years ago, still driven by the mill's water wheel.   
 
Guided tours at 14.30, 15.30 and 16.30
Every day in July and August
Every Sunday and public holidays in June and September
and by appointment throughout the year.
Orges is 4km from Châteauvillain
 
For more information: http://www.artamin.fr
 
Annette and Emmanuel Geoffroy
Le Moulin de la Fleuristerie
52120 ORGES
Tel. : 03 25 01 14 72

 

Fish Farm

Open-air activities

« La Belle Fontaine » (the beautiful fountain) Fish Farm

Directions : 1.5 km from Chateauvillain on the road towards Marmesse. 

Further information can be found on the farm’s official website :

 www.labellefontaine.fr

 

Trout fishing   

§                       Rods and bait provided

§                      No need for a fishing permit

§                       Free Entrance – you pay only for the fish you catch (not specified but this is clearer, if it’s true)

§                       The fish you catch are gutted by the farmer.   No need for you to do it.

§                       Group visits by arrangement 

 

Educational Farm

§                       20-minute film which depicts fish-farming through the seasons

§                       Visit to the fish farm and its activities.  

 Retail Sales

§                       A dip of the farmer’s landing net  and the job’s done !  

§                       You leave with your fish gutted, scaled and ready to cook.   They don’t come fresher than that! 

Cyril et Catherine Jeanson

Route de Marmesse 

52120 CHÂTEAUVILLAIN 

Tél. / Fax : 03.25.01.97.78


Michel Boussard sculptor Marmesse

Permanent Exhibition “Au four à pain"

Michel Boussard’s workshop is set up at Marmesse, 1.5 k from Châteauvillain, in the old bread oven of the former vicarage where he lives.   

Great grandson and grandson of blacksmiths and son of a metalurgy professer, Michel Boussard has, since his earliest childhood, been fascinated by metal working.

For nine years he practiced a very unusal profession,, that of  deep-sea diver , specalising in  underwater welding.   

His professional career led him to carry out numerous projects in Africa and South America.   

 

 
 
Address 13 Rue du Prieure
52120 Marmesse
http://michelboussard.com

 

Near Châteauvillain

 

 

The Royal Champagne Crystal Works
Located just a few miles from Châteauvillain, the town of Bayel has become famous thanks to its craft production: crystal.

 

Crystal has been produced here since 1300 but it was in 1678 that the reputation of Bayel was recognised by Jean-Baptiste Mazzolay, a Venetian glass master, who created the crystal works here. Thereafter, King Louis XVI granted the "Royal Crystal Manufacture of Bayel" exclusive rights for production and sale between Chaumont and Paris. 

Today, the factory, which was since renamed the Royal Champagne Crystal Works, welcomes visitors interested in the art of glass work. Visit the workshops where you can follow the different stages in the creation of a vase or a series of glasses: mouth blowing, cutting by hand, sand etching...artisans working using traditional techniques, perpetuating a centuries-old history to serve contemporary creations.

Tel. : 03 25 92 42 68

www.bayel-cristal.com

 

 

 

Abbaye Auberive

Near Chateauvillain (39km)

 

The Cistercian abbey at Alba Ripa was founded in1135 by12 monks from Clairvaux Abbey and has witnessed some of the great movements in our history. Its destiny has meant it has met some of the great names, all of them linked to their epoch.

It owes its existence to the great monastery movement of the 12th century and St Bernard's presence is attested to in its walls. It has the typical Bernardin architecture: an abbey church with a flat apse facing east, an east wing for the monks and choir, a west wing for the converted monks and a north wing for commoners.

http://www.abbaye-auberive.com/index.php?a=1&lang=en

 

 

Mémorial Charles de Gaulles

http://www.memorial-charlesdegaulle.fr/

 

Le petit village haut-marnais de Colombey-les-deux-églises est célèbre pour avoir été un lieu de calme et de repos pour le général de Gaulle, grand homme d'État du XXe siècle, qui y acquit une propriété en 1934. C'est en cette demeure familiale, du nom de la Boisserie, que le général de Gaulle reçut le chancelier allemand Adenauer en 1958 pour sceller la réconciliation franco-allemande. Aujourd'hui ouvert à la visite, le domaine de la Boisserie évoque, au travers de ses pièces accessibles au public - salon, salle à manger, bibliothèque et bureau dans lequel le général écrivait ses Mémoires -, les souvenirs liés à l'illustre personnage.

Non loin de là, au pied de la monumentale croix de Lorraine, symbole de la France libre, s'étend le Mémorial Charles de Gaulle, lieu de mémoire et espace muséographique, constitué d'une exposition permanente de 1600 m² dédiée à la vie et à l'œuvre du célèbre général, écrivain et homme politique français.

Visible à une trentaine de kilomètres à la ronde, l'immense croix de Lorraine en granit rose, inaugurée le 18 juin 1972, en hommage au général de Gaulle et à son appel historique à la Résistance du 18 juin 1940, domine le village et les paysages que Charles de Gaulle affectionnait tant. La tombe de ce dernier repose dans le cimetière de Colombey-les-Deux-Églises.

Musée de Chatillon-sur-Seine

 

http://www.musee-vix.fr/fr/index.php?page=74


  • Visites guidées tous les jours en juillet et août et pendant les vacances scolaires à 15h

Découvrez le contexte archéologique du Mont Lassois et la richesse de la tombe de la Dame de Vix
Public : adultes et étudiants en individuel
Durée : 1h


 

Janvier 1953, Maurice Moisson et René Joffroy découvrent, au pied du Mont Lassois, une tombe princière inviolée. L’opulence extraordinaire de son mobilier qui date la tombe du début du Vème siècle (vers 480 av. J.C.) marque l’apogée de la résidence princière appelée à disparaître quelques temps plus tard. La tombe de Vix reste, parmi les sépultures princières de la fin du premier âge du fer, celle qui a livré le plus grand nombre d’importations méditerranéennes (grecques et étrusques). 
De forme cubique, la chambre funéraire édifiée en bois au centre d’un tumulus mesurant environ 40 mètres de diamètre, abritait – cas rarissime à l’époque – une riche sépulture féminine. Le corps de la défunte, âgée d’une trentaine d’années et parée de ses plus beaux bijoux, avait été déposé sur la caisse d’un char dont les quatre roues démontées étaient alignées le long de la paroi. Un énorme cratère à volutes en bronze d’origine laconienne, deux coupes en céramique attique, un torque en or, une phiale en argent à ombilic d’or, une cruche à vin (oenochoé), ainsi que trois bassins en bronze se trouvaient également dans la tombe.

Cette découverte est aujourd'hui considérée comme une référence internationale dans l'étude de cette période et a été qualifiée comme la découverte la plus importante réalisée en France au XXème siècle.

 

 

 

 

 

LE CABINET DE CURIOSITES

Le cabinet de curiosité des Z’UNS POSSIBLE c’est : - Un lieu d’exposition évolutif consacré aux arts plastiques de la famille des arts singuliers. - Un artiste qui vit et travaille sur place, qui accueille le public. - Une association qui propose à ses adhérents l’accès au café culturel permettant de consommer des produits de qualité au milieu d’œuvres d’art, salon de lecture, presse nationale et internationale, magazines, boîte d’échange de livres, accès wifi + ordinateur, jeux, documentation patrimoine local… Bref, un lieu atypique d’accès à la culture !

 

Le lieu est situé à Chamesson en Haute Côte d’Or, au nord de la Bourgogne. L’ espace intérieur d'environ 100m² est constitué de plusieurs salles d’exposition d’art dans lesquelles on peut s’installer dans l’esprit des cafés viennois: bibliothèque/salon de lecture, salle de café, coin cuisine. Une terrasse en bord de Seine invite également à prendre son temps…Le tout accessible aux personnes handicapées.

 

Le cabinet de curiosités est composé d’œuvres uniques de Fabien Ansault, d’assemblages, d’objets détournés, d’objets collectés et mis en scène…c’est une installation plastique. … « Une installation est une œuvre d’art hybride mise en scène dans un espace qui n’est pas spécifiquement destiné à l’Art pendant un temps qui va de l’éphémère au pérenne. L’installation encourage donc à une réflexion sur son site et son contexte. De même, elle s’inscrit dans un questionnement sur l’œuvre d’art et l’Art en général. Qu’est-ce qui est de l’Art? L’œuvre d’art doit- elle être unique et "éternelle"? Peut-elle être immatérielle ou temporaire? L’installation ne sollicite pas seulement le regard, elle est souvent immersive: Elle enveloppe le spectateur dans un espace imaginaire… » BPA Histoire de l’Art 2012. L’initiateur du projet Ce projet est initié par Fabien Ansault, artiste plasticien, membre fondateur de l’association LES Z’UNS POSSIBLE en 2004. Fabien Ansault a été aussi pendant + de 20 ans, architecte d’intérieur et graphiste.

Castles


Castel Dinteville

 

Near Châteauvillain (10km) in a narrow valley leading to the Aube, the Chateau at Dinteville, property of the Marquis De La Ville Baugé and his wife, has a dual personality.
 
The north facade has the austere appearance typical of the military architecture of the sixteenth century, while the south facade is a classic example of the understated elegance of the eighteenth century.    As the visitor approaches closer, one can appreciate the genius of the architect who used trompe-l'oeil effects (such as fake windows made of  painted plaster) and  the addition of pilasters or embrasures to give an eighteenth century aspect to the severe sixteenth century facade.  
 
A historical feature that highlights the nobility of this aristocratic residence.
 
Guided tours daily from 23 July to 31 August and by appointment throughout the year.   The visit includes  sixteenth century rooms, a tower, the kitchen and guard room.    In the latter, one of the exhibits is a model showing how the site looked in the sixteenth century.   

Contact:
Henry De La Ville Baugé 
52120 Dinteville
Tel. : 03 25 02 78 01

 

 


Castel Cirey-sur-Blaise

Voltaire at Cirey

 

Located in the Haute-Marne near Châteauvillain (44km) and district about 250 km from Paris, the Chateau de Cirey was marked by the presence of Voltaire who lived there for 15 years from 1734 to 1749.
Voltaire was the guest of Gabrielle Emilie de Breteuil, Marquise du Chatelet, another great intellect of the 18th century.
Voltaire was forced to flee Paris and take refuge at Cirey in 1734 after the publication of "Philosophic Letters" also know as "The English Letters". The "Letters" strongly criticized existing French institutions. The French parliament, angered by the letters, ordered that Voltaire be imprisoned. Having already served two previous sentences in the Bastille, Voltaire preferred to flee.
The Marquise du Chatelet, a friend whom Voltaire had met the year before, offered him asylum at her Cirey property.
The chateau was located near the border with Lorraine which was an independent province at the time. It was an ideal refuge for Voltaire who could cross the border if he was pursued by the authorities.

Guided Tours:  14:30 to 19:00 - every day July 1 to September 1
and Sunday and holidays in May, June and September
Tour start times: 14:50 - 16:00 - 17:10 - 18:10
Adults: 7,5 €
Children: 10 to 17 years 4,5 € (free under age 10)
Groups:  tours by reservation for a minimum of 10 people, every day, from April 1 to October 31 (morning and afternoon).
Price: 6.5 € per person over 18 years old and 4 € per person for students.
Phone +33.03.25.55.43.04
Fax +33.06.37.56.16.44
Email: chateaudecirey52@orange.fr

 

 

 

Château de Montigny-sur-Aube

Riche de huit siècles d’histoire, le château de Montigny-sur-Aube, au nord de la Bourgogne, s’élève au milieu d’un parc de 4 hectares. Ses propriétaires, Marie-France Menage-Small et Len Robert Small, sont heureux de vous ouvrir leurs portes tout au long de l’année : venez découvrir la chapelle, joyau de la Renaissance (XVIe siècle), les vergers en pleine réhabilitation sur leur modèle initial datant du XIXe siècle, le vaste parc à l’anglaise, les douves remises en eau où cygnes, canards et carpes ont désormais élu domicile. Venez vous plonger dans l’histoire d’une propriété, qui de la maison forte du XIIe siècle aux grands travaux orchestrés au début du XXe siècle, a aussi connu de nombreux hommes illustres. Le château de Montigny-sur-Aube est classé monument historique depuis 1961. Il se situe à deux heures et demie de Paris, en Côte-d’Or.

Château de Cirey-sur-Blaise

 

 

Situé en Haute-Marne à 44km de Chateauvillain , le château de Cirey-sur-Blaise a été fortement marqué par la présence de Voltaire, qui y séjourna pendant 15 ans de 1734 à 1749, invité par Gabrielle Émilie de Breteuil, Marquise du Châtelet, autre brillant esprit du XVIIIème siècle.

 

http://www.visitvoltaire.com/f_index.html


Visites Guidées :

Le château est ouvert tous les dimanches et jours fériés de mai et juin de  14h30 à18h30
Des visites guidées sont organisées à 15h, 16h et 17h.
Possibilité de visiter uniquement le parc de 14h30 à18h30

Du 1er juillet au 31 août 
Tous les jours, de 14h50- 16h- 17h10 et 18h

Téléphone/Fax: 03.25.55.43.04 
Adulte: 7€ 
Enfants de 10 à 17 compris 4€ (gratuit pour les moins de 10 ans)
Visite du Parc uniquement : 3€